Several Side Events – including guided tours, workshops, B2B events and other networking activities – will take place before and after the Berlin Energy Transition Dialogue Conference.
The Berlin Energy Transition Dialogue Side Events are an ideal opportunity for gaining in‑depth knowledge about different aspects of the energy transition, as well as for exchanging views and experiences with key experts in the field. We therefore recommend that you plan your activities on site as early as possible, since some side events only have a limited number of participants and require a registration. For details please check out our schedule below.
Side Events Agenda
Preliminary Agenda – subject to last-minute changes
Some sessions may take place in parallel, at different venues.
Use the filter options to filter by Topic or Venue.
When using the filters, please note that suitable sessions could take place on all days. So make sure to expand all day views.
The colors in the schedule show you
the type of event.
- Monday 23 March 2020
- Decentralisation DecentralisationLocal Action Local ActionRenewable Energy projects as vectors for Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s) (Organized by Agora Energiewende)2020-03-23 09:00:009:00 am1:30 pmStrategies and best practices to promote regional development (Expert Workshop) Based on the dichotomy between the opportunity and the threat that renewable energy projects represent to local communities, Agora Energiewende and Iniciativa Climática de México are calling for this workshop to discuss the experiences as well as practical best practice for the development of renewable energy projects as vectors for Mexico’s work towards achieving their Sustainable Development Goal (SDG's).Digitalisation DigitalisationTransport Transport2020-03-23 12:30:0012:30 pm5:30 pmWhile it is clear that electro - mobility is on the rise all over the world, questions remain as to which concepts and which technologies are possible, and more importantly, which are indispensable for a successful energy transition. For greater insight into the future of mobility, join us to learn about electric and alternative energy vehicle fleets, future mobility concepts, EV charging solutions and infrastructure, and the integration of electric mobility and smart grids.Digitalisation DigitalisationGrid GridInnovation Innovation2020-03-23 12:30:0012:30 pm5:30 pmVirtual power plants, machine learning, artificial intelligence, blockchain technology… Every one of us has heard of, read about or even begun to discuss these buzzwords. But what are the drivers behind these technologies and concepts, and how are these innovations applied in the energy sector? To gain an understanding of the technology and potential applications, we will meet and speak with the visionaries at the crossroads of the digital and energy sectors.Decentralisation DecentralisationGreen Cities Green CitiesLocal Action Local Action2020-03-23 12:30:0012:30 pm5:30 pmPivotal to a successful energy transition is a switch from conventional and centralised energy generation to a decentralised system dominated by renewable energy generation and supporting technologies. But how does such a system work and what does it look like? To find out, join us on an excursion to one of the frontrunners in the renewable energy world.Decentralisation DecentralisationGreen Economy Green EconomyInnovation Innovation2020-03-23 13:00:001:00 pm4:00 pmThe German association of consulting engineers invites you to join us for a Workshop regarding renewable energies and storage. German engineering companies show their projects and describe real life solutions to the problems we face regarding the energy transition to a sustainable, carbon neutral future. If you are interested please apply using the green button below.Networking Networking2020-03-23 18:00:006:00 pm10:00 pmStart your BETD right - meet German companies and get to know each other before the official BETD even starts! At the evening reception hosted by the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi). This year the BMWi and the German Energy Solutions Initiative welcome you at WARTEHALLE. Entrance starts at 5pm. This Network Event holds an interesting program for you. During the pitch session, a number of BETD participants from various countries shortly present new political and technological opportunities to accelerate the energy transition at their countries. Also, German companies present projects and solutions in the area of climate-friendly energy that support the global energy transition. Read the official invitation from Christina Wittek, Head of Division of the German Energy Solutions Initiative. On the website of the German Energy Solutions Initiative you find photo impressions from last years network event. If you are interested to pitch, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. As the number of participants is limited, early confirmation is strongly recommended. Please register by March 13, 2020 via the official BETD registration, or directly via email@example.com.
- Tuesday 24 March 2020
- Start-ups Start-ups
- Wednesday 25 March 2020
- Thursday 26 March 2020
- Grid GridIndustry Industry2020-03-26 09:00:009:00 am1:00 pmBy the end of 2019, Germany counted 25 fully operational offshore wind energy projects and the installed transmission capacity in the North Sea added up to more than 7 GW. The joint side event from the Association of German Offshore Wind Farm Operators (BWO) and TenneT will give an overview on existing projects and future developments providing insights both from a transmission system operator and offshore wind farm operators. Programme: 09:00 am: Offshore Grid Connection Systems in the North Sea (TenneT) 09:30 am: Current Status of Offshore Wind in Germany (BWO) 10:00 am: Discussion Following TenneT Virtual Vision Tour until 1 pm. You can register under: firstname.lastname@example.orgEnergy Efficiency Energy EfficiencyHeating HeatingHydrogen HydrogenRenewable Fuels Renewable Fuels2020-03-26 09:00:009:00 am5:00 pmWhile cooling is a growing concern for increasing numbers of people around the world, what about the need for heating? In the northern regions, up to 70% of energy demand comes from heating alone. Efficient and sustainable heating solutions are, and will continue to be, crucial for a sustainable future. Join us to learn about innovative heating technologies and applications. Berlin has a lot to offer, and not just out of necessity!Energy Efficiency Energy EfficiencyHeating HeatingHydrogen HydrogenRenewable Fuels Renewable Fuels2020-03-26 09:00:009:00 am5:00 pmEnergy systems around the world are undergoing fundamental change, driven in particular by the increased availability of low-cost and intermittent renewable energy, distributed energy sources and advances in digitalisation. These changes constitute a profound energy-system transition away from predictable, yet carbon-intensive generation. To experience at first hand the large-scale integration of renewables in the future decentralised system, join us to learn about the innovative processes and technologies enabling the future integrated system.Decentralisation DecentralisationDigitalisation DigitalisationGrid GridInnovation Innovation2020-03-26 09:00:009:00 am5:00 pmHydrogen, the most common chemical element in the universe and most commonly associated with water, is necessary for all living organisms. Hydrogen is currently being discussed outside the typical realms of chemistry and science, but why all the fuss now? Although hydrogen itself is not a source of energy, it serves as an important, clean energy carrier. To gain a greater understanding and to see what applications hydrogen can be used for, we will visit state-of-the-art technology and research institutions.Decentralisation DecentralisationEnergy Efficiency Energy EfficiencyGreen Cities Green CitiesHeating HeatingEnergy Efficiency Energy EfficiencyGreen Economy Green EconomyIndustry IndustryTrade Trade2020-03-26 09:00:009:00 am5:00 pmAccording to the IEA, almost a quarter of global direct CO2 emissions comes from the industry sector. Which processes actually cause such emissions and how can we reduce or even eliminate them? To get an understanding of what can and needs to be done, we will visit highly efficient industrial sites, as well as sectors that are just at the beginning of the road ahead.Geopolitics GeopoliticsInternational Cooperation International CooperationTrade TradeTransport Transport2020-03-26 09:00:009:00 am1:30 pmLinking policy and practice for clean energy transitions across sectors Agora Energiewende and the International Energy Agency (IEA) are hosting a public event to discuss global perspectives for energy systems integration. The current trend towards electrifying transport, heating and industry represents a unique opportunity to decarbonise sectors, previously seen as hard to abate in terms of emissions. This, along with key resources such as hydrogen, contributes to broadening the scope of options to integrate ever greater shares of variable renewable energy (VRE) and accelerate the decarbonisation of the wider energy system. This event will shed light on the opportunities and challenges integrating electric vehicles into the power system and of synthetic fuel production and use.Green Cities Green Cities2020-03-26 10:00:0010:00 am12:00 amThe day after the Berlin Energy Transition Dialogue, the URBAN ENERGY FORUM takes place for the third time. Together with international experts from the energy sector, we will discuss the opportunities and developments of future trends and technologies related to the urban energy transition. The one-day conference is aimed at decision-makers from companies, the public sector and science, who are involved in their daily work on urban energy transition. We expect around 150 guests from Berlin, Germany and around the world. The venue is the Hotel de Rome near the Federal Foreign Office. Participation is free of charge. Registration via the event website is required. The forum will offer extensive networking opportunities in an exclusive business lounge. All participants are asked to create a company profile in a matchmaking tool and to get in touch with potential partners. With the tool, participants can make individual appointments with the other participants before or during the event via password-protected intranet access. The forum is organized by the Berlin-Brandenburg Energy Network and is funded by the Berlin Senate Department for Economics, Energy and Public Enterprises and by European Regional Development Funds from the European Union. Further information on the forum at www.urbanenergyforum.com.Green Finance Green FinanceGreen Energy & Climate Finance Workshop: Financial Bankability Assessment of Photovoltaic (PV) Projects (Organized by Renewables Academy AG)2020-03-26 13:30:001:30 pm4:30 pmA half-day workshop with case study as part of the Berlin Energy Transition Dialogue (BETD) 2020 Global installed capacity of photovoltaic (PV) systems in 2018 increased by 26% relative to the previous year to a level of 509.3 TW. For the eighth year in succession, PV outpaced all other types of renewable energy technologies in terms of annual investment volumes, making it the most dominant and important renewable energy technology. Compared to wind energy, PV already is the cheapest energy generation source in most southern and high solar irradiation countries. Emerging markets have to supply the increasing power consumption of their population and economy. This requires huge investments. Despite many public programmes and initiatives, it is the private sector with debt and equity providers that needs to step forward and develop and realize renewable energy projects. Focus This workshop is designed for interested practitioners that want to better understand:
International Cooperation International CooperationLocal Action Local ActionForging regional pathways towards zero-emission, efficient, and resilient buildings and construction: The GlobalABC Regional Roadmaps (organized by Global Alliance for Buildings and Construction)2020-03-26 14:00:002:00 pm4:30 pmThis workshop will showcase the newly-developed Regional Roadmaps for Africa, Asia, and Latin America, developed by the GlobalABC and the IEA, and built on inputs from over 700 regional stakeholders and global experts outlining key actions and timelines for the decarbonization of the built environment. Participants will discuss how the roadmaps can be instruments for framing the debate at regional, national and local level to implement strong, forward-looking policies and technologies.
- Relevant bankability aspects of the PV technology and the financing approach for photovoltaic projects,
- Main risks associated with PV projects and common mitigation techniques from the finance provider’s perspective.
- Step-by-step cash flow planning process for a sample project and its financial assessment using project finance ratios
- Friday 27 March 2020
- Energy Efficiency Energy EfficiencyGreen Cities Green Cities2020-03-27 09:30:009:30 am1:00 pmDid you know that the majority of governmental buildings in Berlin, in addition to the whole governmental district, were built using advanced renewable technologies and are highly sustainable and energy efficient? If not, then join us to gain unique insight into sustainable urban planning and the construction of some of the most significant buildings and areas in Berlin.Decentralisation DecentralisationEnergy Efficiency Energy EfficiencyGreen Cities Green CitiesHeating HeatingInnovation Innovation2020-03-27 09:30:009:30 am1:00 pmForecasts show that two-thirds of the world’s population will live in cities by the year 2050. As a result, demand for energy and private transportation is set to increase exponentially – and pollution will rise accordingly. Are real significant changes within cities foreseeable? What solutions can really make a change? Can sectors such as agriculture or energy crossover be integrated into modern and future living environments? To see both small and large-scale urban solutions that may have an immense impact on our future, join us on this tour!